Over time as I’ve evolved my consciousness as a consumer, I’ve begun to view spending my money on honest, trustworthy independent organic companies as not just a purchase but as an act of charity.
As author Anna Lappe said, “Every time you spend money, you’re casting a vote for the world you want.”
I personally want to live in a world that protects and conserves our vital sources of air, food, and water, as well as our oxygen, and protecting the Amazon Rainforest and all of our wild areas in general is one of the best ways we can do that.
Did you know that the Amazon Rainforest is often called the “Lungs of the Earth” and that it is estimated to produce as much as 20 percent of the world’s oxygen (according to wildlife expert Jeff Corwin in this CNN article)?
New species are reportedly discovered every three days in the world’s largest rainforest area, and it’s also likely to biggest source of natural healing medicine in the world. Despite the fact that less than 1% of all Amazon plants have been studied for their healing properties, as many as 25-40% of all new Western drugs are derived from Amazon Rainforest medicinal plants in some way (the rare, archived news clip below notes that 70% of all drugs come from rainforests in general).
Why The Rainforest Deserves Our Support and Attention
Despite the incomparable gifts the Amazon Rainforest gives us, the world and its citizens are not doing enough to protect it. It’s estimated that if Rainforest deforestation continues at the current rate of 20,000 square miles per year, the entire Amazon could be nearly gone within 50 years.
Thankfully, there are organizations that work to support, conserve and protect the rainforest, and many of them are being supported by outstanding organic companies.
Here are five that are well worth supporting:
1. Artisana Foods- Makers of some of the world’s most delicious nut butters as well as well organic, cold-pressed coconut oils, this Oakland, California based company is allied with the Rain Forest Alliance, which works to conserve conserve biodiversity and to transform land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior; and the Rain Forest Action Network, which supports direct action and environmental policy to support the endangered rain forests
My personal favorite products from this company include their Cacao Bliss Cashew Butter, Goji Thistle Nut Butter and 100% Organic Raw Extra Virgin Coconut Oil(shown below).
2. Newman’s Own Organics- This is an ethical company that makes everything from organic chocolates to dog treats and pretzels. They’re also Rain Forest Alliance certified, and their products can often be found at your local health food store.
Newman’s Own is one of dozens of companies that support the alliance. To find more of them, click on this link.
3. Rainforest Foods Company- This British-based company is affiliated with the prestigious Soil Association, which works to maintain organic standards and advocates for organic food with a great deal of important research and reports.
Sellers of superfood supplements ranging from cacao to barley grass and acai berry products, they work to support the Rainforest Concern, which raises funds for social and environment projects in rainforest regions across the world.
You can learn more about their products on their website here.
4. OrganicBouquet.com- Buy some flowers, save the Rainforest? Okay, so it’s much more complicated than that, but this company deserves recognition for their support of the Rainforest Foundation, which works to minimize damage to ecosystems and conserve the rich biodiversity of the rainforest. All you have to do in order to support the foundation is to shop through the website and 10% of your purchases will be donated.
The company is a bit pricy but can buy flowers, wreaths, gift baskets and more knowing that you’re supporting organic agriculture and the rainforest as well.
5. Amazon Herb Company- As you saw in the video above, 70% of all new drugs come from the world’s rainforests and as many as 40% of those come from the Amazon Rainforest itself.
Those drugs are just synthetic versions of the the whole plant that leave out the most beneficial microscopic compounds (and add in a ton of nasty side effects).
Amazon Rainforest herbs are effective against a wide variety of health problems and are some of the strongest, most anti-parasitic, anti-viral, antioxidant-rich plants in the world, and they can be purchased in organic, wildcrafted supplements from this company with proceeds going to the ACEER Foundation (it was once estimated at 10 percent of total profits, and goes to things like solar powered radio equipment, water irrigation, wells and filtration systems, boats and more for the natives).
The Amazon Herb Company, now a part of TriVita, has long supported the ACEER Foundation (Amazon Center for Environmental Education and Research) which has worked to conserve the rainforest for over 20 years, discovered new species of plants and animals, and conducted ground-breaking research on the healing power of Amazon plants.
The healing powers of these plants are available from several different organic supplements from the company.
A few of the best ones include Sangre de Drago, which is a red tree sap comprised of 90 percent cancer and age-fighting antioxidants.
In addition, Sangre de Drago was found to be four times more effective than artificial collagen supplements at helping your body produce more youth-protecting collagen according to one Belgian study.
You can try Sangre de Drago by clicking here.
Another popular organic product from the company is Camu Camu, which has between 30-60 times more Vitamin C than an orange and also helps your brain to produce more the “feel-good chemical” serotonin. I personally take Camu Camu in a small squeeze bottle called Camu Gold that gives me 50% of my daily value of natural Vitamin C concentrated in one small drop.
Most people waste money on synthetic vitamin C products that are actually made from corn believe it or not, when they could try something new like Camu Gold that not only tastes better and is way healthier, but also supports the Amazon Rainforest.
You can check out Camu Gold by clicking here.
These are just a few of the ways that you can support the “Lungs of Our Planet,” even if you happen to live thousands of miles away.
While it would be easy to focus on the negatives of industry and its role in harming the vital rainforests, I’ve finally learned to stop giving space in my head to the problem and to instead focus on the solution: becoming a conscious consumer, always.