While mainstream media sources often seem to downplay the importance of eating organic, more and more people continue to choose it as an alternative to “conventional” food laced with synthetic pesticides.
Many people are familiar with the Dirty Dozen and the Clean Fifteen from the Environmental Working Group, a list that highlights the most important fruits and vegetables to buy organic in order to maximize your dollars (of course it’s always wise to buy all organic if you can afford it).
But despite the growing awareness of such lists, it’s also important to realize just how contaminated many of the most popular fruits and vegetables in the United States really are.
The amount of pesticides on these 5 most polluted types of produce is quite staggering, especially when taking into consideration that so many “healthy eating programs” still recommend them or pass them out at health events and omit any mention of the high levels of toxic pesticide residues they contain.
Four fruits and vegetables actually have actually been found to have more than 45 different pesticide residues over large samples taken by the USDA; please keep this in mind next time you reach for another “healthy” snack to give your kids in the produce aisle.
The Top Five Pesticide Soaked Fruits and Vegetables
With such a striking level of pesticides on each of these “conventional” produce items, it would be wise to avoid them entirely (even though most people buy them non-organic without second thought):
1. Apples- Perhaps the most notable inclusion on this list is the apple, considering its reputation as a health food, and the lack of organic apple orchards for that matter. The vast majority of apple orchards remain “conventional,” and yet American apples were recently banned in Europe by regulators.
Over 47 pesticide residues were found in conventional apples by the USDA’s pesticide data program in 2010. Doesn’t exactly make for a healthy cup of apple juice now, does it?
2. Peaches- The soft skin of peaches combined with the amount of chemicals they’re treated with could spell serious trouble for your health.
A 2008 study by the PDP found 62 different pesticide residues on conventional peaches; several are considered as neurotoxins and/or known carcinogens. While you can wash some of the residue off much of it remains in the soft flesh and skin of the peach.
3. Nectarines- Similar to peaches with their soft, round shape and orange color, nectarines soak up pesticides like a sponge, making it important to always buy them organic or at the very least to limit consumption.
According to the 2012 EWG report, nectarines actually had the most overall weight of pesticides of any fruit or vegetable, meaning that you’re probably consuming these dangerous carcinogens in every bite and taxing the health of your liver.
4. Strawberries- Pesticides with negative effects on the brain and nervous system have been found in spades on strawberries, with 45 total pesticide residues found by the PDP in 2009.
Organic strawberries are especially pricier but well worth the investment; buy them in season and freeze to save big money.
5. Grapes- The fourth and final fruit on the list, grapes were found to have 56 different pesticide residues in 2010, including four developmental or reproductive toxins linked to fertility problems and even miscarriages.
That means that wine drinkers should be especially careful not overdo it, especially when consuming wine in its non-organic form.
Final Thoughts: You can easily find most of these top five most pesticide-laden fruits and vegetables in just about everyone’s kitchen, and that’s what makes them so dangerous to our health.
Don’t forget to share this information with your friends who still consider these pesticide-soaked fruits and vegetables to be “health foods.”