Organic foods can be cheap if you know which ones to buy, and while they may not always provide the macronutrients needed to sustain for long periods of time, every type of organic produce is capable of healing the body in its own unique way.
Despite claims that organic food is too expensive, many of the healthiest organic vegetables can be bought for as little as two bucks or less at the grocery store. I personally started out with a $20 per week budget for organic produce, and once I realized how much better my food tasted and the health benefits I received, I began to increase that amount over the ensuing months and years.
With so many “super vegetables” available for so cheap, you may want pick a few of them up the next time you’re at the grocery store or farmer’s market.
Here are five of the best values among organic superfood vegetables out there:
1. Kale- This dark, leafy green has made a huge comeback and is now one of the most popular vegetables in the entire store because of its hard-to-beat combination of nutrition and value.
Kale is loaded with anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer compounds galore, and is one of the best sources of Vitamin K out there. One serving also gives you a ton of Vitamin C (about the daily value, although I recommend eating Vitamin C throughout the day) and is a strong source of calcium.
It’s like a multi-vitamin in plant form, and it’s versatile enough to be made into anything from a salad to baked kale chips.
You can find organic kale for as little as $1.49-$1.99 a pound.
2. Cilantro- One of the best ways to detox heavy metals from your system, cilantro also happens to be extremely cheap and plentiful. You can find this excellent accent to salads, rice, and other dishes for as little as 79-99 cents a pound in the organic section.
Cilantro has a “love it or hate it” kind of taste according to some people. While I was a little surprised by it at first, the taste has certainly grown on me and I’m now firmly in the former category.
3. Parsley- Similar to cilantro in many ways, including the price. It’s usually a tough choice between parsley and cilantro, but I alternate each week.
Parsley is excellent for heart health, protection against rheumatoid arthritis, detoxing in general including heavy metals, and much more. It’s also rich in vitamins K, A, and C. Not bad for 99 cents a pound in its organic form.
4. Cabbage- One of the most forgotten vegetables out there, and also one of the cheapest per pound, and one of the best values among organic vegetables. You can get green cabbage for as little as 99 cents a pound if you know where to look, although it is usually in the $1.49-$1.99 range. You can probably get it cheaper at the most farmer’s markets, however.
It’s also high in Vitamin K and C, as well as anti-cancer compounds. Cabbage is also a great source of silica for healthy hair, skin and nails, and excellent in soups as well as raw (once you get used to it).
5. Green Onions- The epitome of a budget organic vegetable, green onions not only clock in at less than a dollar a pound, they also replenish themselves over and over again. That’s right, you can actually re-grow them from scraps on your windowsill.
Green onions offer a wide range of health benefits as well, including the ability to fight infections, sore throats and the common cold, nasal congestion, and even swollen feet. They also happen to be my favorite salad accent, so I always make sure I have plenty on hand.
To learn how to re-grow your green onions from scraps, check out this article.
A Message From the Founder
Do you want to heal your chronic digestive and autoimmune issues naturally, but don't know where to begin aside from removing GMOs from your diet and buying organic?
If so, you may want to check out the THRIVE Lifestyle Academy, an AltHealthWORKS approved diet, exercise, mindset, and lifestyle program that takes the guesswork out of getting, and mostly importantly, staying, healthy for life.
Created by Derek Henry, who overcame 13 different chronic disease conditions thanks in large part to over 3,500 hours of research (watch a short video on his story here), this program is suitable for anyone who wants to transform their digestive health while living a fast-paced modern lifestyle. Like myself, healing his digestive issues (gas, bloating, Crohn's like symptoms) was the gateway to a healthy life for Derek.
Become a member and you'll get a 60-day nutrition jump-start, easy access to the THRIVE Online Health Desk for expert one-on-one support (optional), and a simple eight-part plan ideal for people who enjoy being taught what to do, not told what to do.
Click the button below to take advantage of a special discount for AltHealthWORKS readers, as well as a free 21-day trial to help start your journey.