High levels of glyphosate, the Monsanto produced chemical deemed a “probable human carcinogen” by the IARC of the World Health Organization in spring 2015 have reportedly been found.
The information was shared via The Detox Project, a glyphosate-free certification label that has been featured in Forbes, Bloomberg, and other major news media outlets.
While many people mistakenly believe that anything with a “whole wheat” label on it is healthy, that may not always be the case according to these results.
If you’re concerned about high glyphosate levels in your bread, you may want to make your own organic sourdough from scratch from now on, or at the last very least avoid these 10 brands.
The Top Ten Glyphosate-Soaked Bread Brands to Avoid
These are the 10 breads with the highest glyphosate levels according to The Detox Project.
Perhaps the most surprising inclusion on this list is that of 365 Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread from Whole Foods, a popular and high-priced health food store that is known by customers as being a better choice.
The list is as follows:
1. Village Hearth 100% Whole Wheat Bread- 1,150 parts per billion (ppb) of Roundup
2. Whole Foods 365 Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread- 1,040 ppb
3. Walmart Chickpeas Great Value Bread- 889 ppb
4. Pepperidge Farm 100% Whole Wheat Bread- 587 ppb
5. Quaker Oats- 535 ppb
6. Pepperidge Farm Jewish Rye & Pumpernickel Deli Swirl Bread- 531 ppb
7. Market Pantry 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread- 348 ppm
8. Walmart Great Value 100% Whole Wheat Bread- 340 ppb
9. Off the Eaten Path Rice, Peas and Black Beans (Found at Target)- 301 ppb
10. Sara Lee 100% Whole Wheat Bread- 284 ppb
Organic vs. Conventional Breads Final Scorecard
Altogether, The Detox Project tested 23 organic foods, 26 non-GMO foods and 37 conventional foods.
The organic foods scored the best in terms of lowest glyphosate residues by far, with 13 ppb to 54 ppb of glyphosate recorded.
The non-GMO foods sometimes scored well, but many tested high in glyphosate residues. They ranged from 12 ppb to 1,040 ppb.
Finally, the conventional breads scored the worst. These breads, many of which are listed above, scored between 20 ppb to 1,150 ppb of glyphosate.
All things considered, organic breads are your best bet — and the full scorecard, which can be downloaded on the Detox Project’s website here, is well worth checking out as well.